Re: Multibuild - was Re: Fwd: Launching C userland code with rumprun

  • From: Antti Kantee <pooka@xxxxxx>
  • To: rumpkernel-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 22 Jun 2015 07:34:25 +0000

On 21/06/15 20:45, Justin Cormack wrote:

On 21 June 2015 at 14:35, Antti Kantee <pooka@xxxxxx> wrote:
Are you compiling qemu and xen from two different rumprun source trees?
It's currently (unfortunately) not a good idea to use the same source tree
to build for multiple targets. It works if you know what you're doing, but
I cannot advise as good practice when trying to eliminate errors.

What are the issues here?

A bit in the spirit of the scene with Josef of Arimathea's carving in Monty Python and the Holy Grail, if I could enumerate what the issues are, I wouldn't bother writing that you need to know what you're doing, I'd just list the issues.

Come to think of it, I don't think I've ever tried to run both hw and xen binaries built from the same tree, but just experience in trying to build both gives a clue that it's not a good idea. David's results seem to suggest that binaries built that way will not run correctly, at least for Xen. They do work for hw, as far as I've been able to observe, for whatever reason.

I filed issue #35 and made the build script refuse to build multiple platform/machine combos from the same sources until objdir builds are supported.