[rollei_list] Re: was Rollei 35S, SE, lens coating

  • From: Carlos Manuel Freaza <cmfreaza@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2007 19:57:04 -0300 (ART)

Richard, I only quote Rudolf Kingslake, after to
mention H. Dennis Taylor observations about the
tarnished lenses transmitted more light, he writes:
"The whole subject was opened up in 1936 when A.
Smakula of Zeiss invented the process of coating lens
surfaces in a vacuum with a thin evaporated layer of
low-index material.A single layer of such material,
originally calcium fluoride or magnesium fluoride, has
the effect of reducing the reflectivity greatly at one
wavelength in the middle of the spectrum, but less at
the longer or shorter wavelengths at the ends of the
spectrum..." (Rudolf Kingslake, "A history of
photographic Lens", Science 1989)

And this is from a Zeiss on-line paper:
"Coating optimization

Working at Carl Zeiss, Smakula developed
a completely new, patented
method in 1935 to minimize annoying
reflections on optical surfaces: he
added an additional coating ? which
was also very durable ? to the surface
of a lens, which had an anti-reflection
effect. Smakula?s work is the basis of
the standard procedures used to minimize
reflections today..."
http://www.zeiss.com/C125716F004E0776/0/D6BDB824254AA33CC125730800346465/$File/inno17_e_1821.pdf

All the best
Carlos