[rollei_list] Re: "the great impact that SLRs" (was: OT / prove it !)

  • From: Bob Shell <bob@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 3 Apr 2005 18:51:21 -0400

On Sunday, April 3, 2005, at 01:51  PM, Ardeshir Mehta wrote:

>> [...] As an after thought It has always been interesting to me that
>> none of the traditional 35mm camera manufacturers forsaw the great
>> impact that SLRs would have.
>
> Wasn't the Contarex one of the very first, if not THE very first, 35mm
> SLR with pentaprism finder, rapid return mirror, interchangeable lenses
> and automatic diaphragm closing-and-opening - the things we all expect
> in a fully functional SLR?

The Contarex was a weird design.  While it did have instant return
mirror, the lens diaphragm did not reopen until the camera was cocked.
I believe I remember correctly that the Gamma Duflex had lenses with
diaphragms that reopened right after the exposure was made, and was the
first SLR to have this.

Bob