[rollei_list] Re: rollei focussing screens

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2007 13:29:05 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: <aghalide@xxxxxxx>
To: "rollei list" <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, September 24, 2007 12:24 PM
Subject: [rollei_list] rollei focussing screens

Regarding the freznel add on focussing screen, of yesteryear. Do you plop it in onto the existing permanent screen.....does it go, freznel side up or down? Regarding the fully interchangeable focussing screen, does that go rough side up or down?

Ed Meyers

The Rolleigrid does just drop onto the existing ground glass with the grooved side facing the top of the GG. Rollei cameras from about 1950 have two little springs and a tab to hold the screen. These are also used for the finder mask of the Rolleikin and I find I can not use both together. In any case, the uniformity of the basic ground glass over the area used with the mask is good enough not to need the Rolleigrid. A similar Fresnel lens was made by Hartley in the 1950's and 60's for the Rollei and several other cameras.
   I am not sure about the interchangible screen.
Ideally, to get best unifority and to minimise internal reflections, a Fresnel should be between the ground surface and lens with the grooves facing the ground surface but this will displace the ground glass in cameras not designed for it. This is the arrangement used in the Graflok back of later Speed and Crown Graphic cameras. While ideal the actual difference between this and just laying the Fresnel over the ground glass is very slight.

---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA
dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx