[rollei_list] Re: : features of Medalist

  • From: Marc James Small <marcsmall@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx,<rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2007 21:06:09 -0400

At 07:57 PM 6/6/2007, Richard Knoppow wrote:

>    Thats correct, the L mark and "Luminized" trade name is
>for the vacuum hard coating. I don't know the exact date
>when this coating was applied to Kodak consumer lenses but
>it was probably sometime around 1946 or 47. This is about
>the time that other manufacturers began hard coating their
>consumer lenses. Some used trade names, for instance,
>Wollensak used "Wocoating" with a W in a C as the symbol,
>Schneider used a triangle, white at first, then red, Zeiss
>marked thiers with a T. But many manufacturers did not mark
>coated lenses. I think B&L used a color dot but they used
>dots for other things as well. Kodak, Wollensak, and B&L
>evidently had in-house coating facilities, all three were
>involved with the development of vacuum coating during the
>war. Other makers, Goerz for instance, evidently farmed out
>coating. Goerz was one of the last companies to coat
>routinely.
>    I don't know about British made lenses. The Brits
>certainly had the technology but the English economy was so
>depressed after the war that busineses were very slow to
>adopt new technology.

Richard

We've had some discussions about this over on the IDCC over the years.

Zeiss in Germany, Kodak and Wollensak, and Ross in the UK all developed vacuum coating methods in the late 1930's, though only Zeiss regularly marketed coated lenses. There are a few Prewar Lumenized lenses, and much of the military gear made by Wollensak -- they largest product line was rangefinders and gunsights -- was coated during the War. Ross licensed the product to Barr & Stroud, then the primary supplier of binoculars and gunsights and periscopes to the British military.

Zeiss published the details of their process in late 1940, so it then became available to any optical house wishing to use it.

I agree that regular production of Lumenized lenses did not begin until 1946 or '47.

Marc

msmall@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Cha robh bàs fir gun ghràs fir!