[rollei_list] Re: e: speaking of war photography

  • From: Marc James Small <marcsmall@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2007 15:25:54 -0400

At 09:18 AM 10/23/2007, Jan Decher wrote:
Marc:
In this context, a very entertaining read, highlighting one German war reporter's life:

Walther Benser: "My Life with the Leica" (1990 Hove Photo Books) with a nice gallery of Benser's pictures annotated by him. After the war Benser worked for Leitz to promote their gear around the world incl. in the US with slide shows of his pictures using two Prado 500 projectors. He even drilled himself to give his talks in several languages without really knowing all of them. Did you ever see him?

I corresponded briefly with Benser but never met him. I have owned a number of Benser cases over he years and agree with Allen that these are more for collectors than users: I will stick with my Billingham for the Leicas and with a Falklands-War-era Royal Engineers kit bag for my 2.8GX.

Marc

msmall@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Cha robh bàs fir gun ghràs fir!