[rollei_list] Re: Xenotar 2.8E w/ case and Lens cap

  • From: Ardeshir Mehta <ardeshir@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2005 03:13:55 -0500

On Tuesday, January 11, 2005, at 12:47  AM, Peter Kotsinadelis wrote:

> Have a Rollei TLR 2.8E Xenotar with case, cap, and brighter (I think
> its a Maxwell but not 100% sure so it could be a Beattie) focusing
> screen.
>
> What is the going rate for this. Condition very good, nit collector
> quality but not quite a user. Has meter too but its off about 1/2 stop
> or so.
>
> Anyone????

 From what I've seen on past eBay auctions since last summer, I think
you ought to get anything between $500 and $800 for this, depending on
how good it looks.

If it's been overhauled recently by Harry Fleenor, add at least $150 to
the above. If the brighter screen was also installed by him, add
another $140 (that's what he charges to install a Maxwell screen).

The F is more highly prized than the E-with-meter, the 2.8 is of course
more highly prized than the 3.5, and one with a Planar is SOMEWHAT more
highly prized - I feel, however, mistakenly - than one with a Xenotar.
(If the taking lens has visible scratches, however, you'll have to
subtract quite a bit from the above estimates, even if the scratches
don't affect the image quality at all).

Of course superb "condition" - cosmetic condition, especially - is MUCH
more highly prized than just "okay" (Gawd alone knows why.) That's why
I said "depending on how good it looks". Use some black boot polish on
the leather, at least!

Cheers.