[rollei_list] Re: Why Rollei T? (addendum)

  • From: Ardeshir Mehta <ardeshir@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 13:19:07 -0500

On Wednesday, March 30, 2005, at 04:34  AM, bigler@xxxxxxxx wrote:

>>> Gorgeous!
>
>> Further to this comment of mine - have you printed these shots, and=20=

>> if so, how large? Ardeshir http://homepage.mac.com/ardeshir
>
> =46rom the images displayed on the digital rollei-gallery I have only=20=

> one 50x50 cm inkjet print of the Whitney image.

That's a very beautiful image.

> The job was made by Henri Peyre from N=EEmes (France) for an =
exhibition=20
> last year at the N=EEmes School of Fine Arts.
>
> The image was scanned with a Imacon (now : Hasselblad) professional=20
> scanner and printed on a Epson professional inkjet printer.
>
> http://www.galerie-photo.com/exposition-de-la-contemplation.html
> http://www.galerie-photo.com/catalogue-expo.pdf
>
> Sorry all those documents are in French.

Pas de probl=E8me!

> After an unexpected tour to China, the exhibition will be hosted in=20
> Switzerland in Montreux, Centre Culturel Maison Visinand from April 8=20=

> to July 20 2005.
>
> The exhibition is devoted to high quality prints made from large=20
> format (mostly 4x5" and 8x10") cameras but he asked me an example of=20=

> what can be done with an old 6x6 camera and a simple tessar lens.=20
> Among various images I had extracted from my files, he selected the=20
> Whitney-tessar image. There are many different styles of pictures and=20=

> different printing techniques in this exhibition. Prior to this I had=20=

> no idea of what a professional quality inkjet print is.

Yes, it's gorgeous, isn't it. I had some large inkjet prints done of my=20=

own pictures, and they are absolutely delightful to look at.

> I like the fair competition between traditional and digital prints.=20
> The amount of pixels in this image is about 30 million and film grain=20=

> is perfectly visible. To me when 30 million pixels full-frame 6x6=20
> backs will be available in the $1K price range I'm ready to switch to=20=

> digital ;-) this will come some day... probably sooner than I think.

Yes, that's probably true. The Canon 1Ds MarkII already has 16.7=20
million pixels in a 35mm camera, and since a 6x6 has about 3.5 times=20
the area, that would mean, if the sensor could be made that large at a=20=

reasonable cost, 58.5 million pixels!

And considering that last year's flagship was the Canon 1D MarkII (what=20=

a difference the 's' makes!), which had just 8.4 million pixels, the=20
rate of increase in pixels for 35mm is very fast.

> As a rolleiphile I do not care for now, for color prints, modern color=20=

> slide film taken in my Rollei allows you to get the best of=20
> traditional photography and modern or traditional printing.

Right. I always shoot slide film if I can (I can't get it everywhere,=20
however.)

> Taking into account that you could redo the image with well-tuned=20
> Rollei TLR on tripod equiped with a planar or xenotar plus a modern=20
> ultra-fine grain colour slide film, you can be confident there are=20
> still plenty of amazing pictures to take with 6x6 on film in the=20
> future.

Oh, that will always be the case. My Rolleiflexes will be in use as=20
long as I live, and more if my daughter (now 5 years old) takes=20
seriously to photography, as she shows a keen interest in doing.

Cheers.