[rollei_list] Re: Western Union

  • From: Don Williams <dwilli10@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 15 Apr 2006 16:56:57 -0700

At 04:49 PM 4/15/2006 -0700, you wrote:

That may be, I don't know how these contests were run. I was always under the impression that they were by sound although the code was generated by machine. High speed code transmission was done by punched paper tape for sending and ink recorders for receiving. Operators "read" the tape and typed out the messages.

That must be why I had the recollection that they did it visually, not by sound.

This mode was used mostly for point to point circuits, marine stuff was mostly rather slow speed, hand-keyed traffic.
I just did a Google search on Ted McElroy and found a couple of sites with biographical information. My own knowledge came from old magazines I had collected years ago and are now lost. This is actually more in depth.

I just did the same Google search, but not in depth. The few I looked at implied that it was by audio input, but your comment about reading a tape coincides with my memory.

Don Williams
La Jolla, CA