[rollei_list] Re: The Classic Rollei: A Definitive Guide [Hardcover]

  • From: Emmanuel Bigler <Emmanuel.Bigler@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2010 16:25:16 +0100

Hello friends !

I received my copy of "The Classic Rollei: A Definitive Guide" by J.
Phillips today and I'd like to recommend it warmly to our readers.

The typesetting and layout is very pleasant (less austere than Claus
Prochnow's books ;-) and it serves as a reference guide, an historical
essay on Rollei TlRs & related camera equipment, a user's manual, and
a second-hand buying guide. I should say : a buying guide (in short),
since the book stops the R-TLR story in 1981... hence all Rollei
covered in the book, ipso facto, are "second hand" if you want to buy
one ;-)

I really appreciated many notes about lenses, shutters, flash units,
competing camera of the time, and many photographs explaining various
parts of the Rollei-TLR mechanisms. For example, it is the first time
that I find a clear drawing and a clear explanation on how the famous
pair of spiral-shaped focusing cams actually work. There is a special
section on Compur shutters used in R-TLRs, and a nice picture and
explanation about the legendary 'Kegelrad Diffenzial" that I had
discovered in Prochnow's book.. now I think I understand how it works
(my German is not that good...)

This book is not the one that you'll take with you at a photo fair,
Ian Parker's pocket book covering all models, one per two facing
pages, is probably the most convenient. And it does not replace Claus
Prochnow's books as well (ahem, at least if you can read German..)

Well : overseas friends, be patient, I had to wait a little to have
mine crossing the Channel, but it is really a good book !

--

Emmanuel from France