[rollei_list] Summary (Re: OT: RF vs SLR for 35mm)

  • From: Thor Legvold <tlegvold@xxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2005 22:32:53 +0100

Thanks again to all who responded.

Going over all the replies, as well as my gut feeling, I end up with two main conclusions, as well as some subsidiary observations.

1. The FM2 is a great camera, I just need to pick up some better glass to be in business (i.e. better results).

2. I'm strongly gravitating towards the simple, mechanical, "old skool" tools. I understand (and appreciate, and in some cases agree) with the arguments for auto this and auto that, however looking back over my own experience leads me to believe that I actually take better pictures (fewer, but consistently better) when I have to do everything manually and actually think about more than just the composition. As much as the Contax G2 looks like an incredible tool (in the right hands), I think it's not what I'm looking for. Plus, many reviews loved it for everything but hated the noise it makes (lots, apparently). I think a Leica (if I win the lottery :-), Bessa or similar will be a much better "fit" to my current sensibilities. Or maybe old Canon (Leica mount) or similar.

In fact I've found that the pictures I'm taking with the Rollei are consistently worse than what I managed with the Bronica - no contest as to what system offers sharper, more contrasty images and easier handling. That's easy to see. Still, I think the fact that I had to do everything manually and actually take my time and consider each and every exposure helped make my images better. It's waaay too easy now to put everything on auto and machine-gun pepper the subject with the 6008. I really need to slow down, put everything on manual and get back to basics. And remember that each and every frame costs money, so I need to make it count.

This is a trend I don't want to continue, so any future acquisitions should preclude that way of working. Thus the G2, "budget" AF SLR's etc are out. I don't want autofocus (never did - I focus plenty fast enough and *I* want to decide where to lead the viewer, not let the camera do it for me!). Simple is good. My main objection to Leica is the price, the only real (modern, well built and compatible) alternative appears to be Voigtlander.

I've also been having so much fun with the Rolleiflex MX I borrowed recently I might end up looking for a good user 'flex (C, D, E or F most probably, at a good/low price). It's small, light, easy to handle and has great glass. What more can one ask? :-)

Lastly, I need to accept that none of the tools I prefer are going to help me take any better pictures of my (very active) son. Pretty much everything I've taken is out of focus or with him on the way out of the frame. So be it, until I can teach him to sit still long enough to measure light, compose, focus and expose ;-).

Cheers,
Thor

On 18 Nov, 2005, at 22:26, Jan Decher wrote:

Thor:

I think your hunch with the Bessa R2 is a good one. Why not try it? If
you catch the RF bug you can always add a new or used Leica later using the
same lenses.

If you shoot mostly chromes I would avoid starting with an old Leica LTM or
M - as much as I sympathize with Marc's suggestion the classic Leica IIIc
because I also like the looks and feel of LTM Leicas. Same can be said for
older Contax IIa, Retina or classic Voigtlaneder Prominent and Vitessas.

A newer Leica M6 or M7 would give you the chrome metering accuracy but at a
hefty price. The forthcoming Zeiss Ikon body may be a compromise between
Leica poshness and Cosina-Voigtlander economics.

Then again the new Voigtaenders look quite attractive and intuitive to use
(not really a big switch ergonomically from the Nikon FM2 since they are
based on a similar mechanical SLR).
I am currently debating myself if I should have an early M3 reconditioned
for $300+ and find a better used or new standard lens for it ($350+) or
sell it and spend the $$ on a Bessa R3A with the attractive 1.4/40mm (see:
http://www.photovillage.com/html/voigtlander.html)
The latter would certainly give more consistent results for chromes.

Let us know what you decide.
Jan

--- Rollei List