[rollei_list] Re: Storage Media [OT] (was Re: Large

  • From: "Neil Gould" <neil@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 6 May 2008 06:42:50 -0500

Hi Don,

> Date: Mon, 05 May 2008 09:12:43 -0500
> From: Don Williams <dwilli10@xxxxxxx>
>
> At 08:13 AM 5/5/2008 -0500, Neil wrote, in part:
>> Most of my information comes from extensive research into the issues
>> at hand and a couple of decades of personal experience in creating
>> burned CD masters for replication.
>>
> Just as a clarification for me, were you creating burned masters that
> would later be pressed (or stamped, whatever they call it) or as
> masters for creating additional burned copies?

Masters that would be used to make stamped products... audio CDs, media
discs, etc.

[...]
> Finally, and I find this confusing, I recently bought some "Name
> Brand" re-recordable media and they failed (Unknown to me at the
> time) part way through the record process.  From reasons someone out
> there knows, I was unable to re-format or re-use them once they had
> been burned and failed.

If the disc has defects in the are where the TOC is recorded, then it is
quite likely that you will experience this kind of problem.

> On the other side of the coin, I used to use Read/Write CD's as backup
> media and they lasted with daily re-burning for many years.

That isn't unusual. I use CD-RWs for daily backup, and DVD-RWs in my video
recorders for time shifting off-air material. I've only had one or two
failed discs in years of use. But, that is a somewhat different matter
than archival storage for decades, as would be typical of film, for
instance.

Best,

Neil