[rollei_list] Re: Rolleimagic flash and flash shoe

  • From: Carlos Manuel Freaza <cmfreaza@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2005 14:51:27 +0000 (GMT)

Last night I was researching a bit about the
Rolleimagic flash and flash shoe reading Emanuel and
Prochnow. Almost there is no good or bad info about
this issue in the Web.
Prochnow designed the flash shoe and a modified
version of the Rollei flash for the Rolleimagic.
Really it is a special and dedicated shoe that works
right 100% with the dedicated flash only. It has the
PC socket at the center that allows to use other flash
units. The shoe could accept a tilted mini flash with
a  special adaptation work as Slobodan explained, but
in fact I couldn't fit my "normal" Vivitar 2800 into
the shoe.
Prochnow  explains nothing about the X or M synchro,
he  mentions the synchro socket  without to explain
about it, and in the features pages on the Rolleimagic
I and II he only mentions the special shoe for the
dedicated flash, nothing about X or M.
I found a not complete but enough explanation in
Emanuel reading several parts of the book, not only
the part on the Rolleimagic.
The Rolleimagic I and II flash socket placed in the
middle of the special shoe works for X synchro with a
normal coaxial flash cord with a normal PC terminal
pin  and then I could use my Vivitar with the flash
bracket and the flash cord, however I never tried it,
perhaps because the camera has not  means to change
the X-M synchro, it confused me. In fact, since the
camera dedicated flash uses bulb lamps, it seems that
the dedicated shoe works for the M synchro.
Regarding the shutter speeds for the flash synchro,
there are differences between I and II models. The I
is Automatic only and it has three positions to work:
Auto, Flash and B. The I has a button at the left of
the front panel, depressing it you can change the
camera mode, the Flash mode shows an orange zone in
the functions window with the lightning symbol and the
f stops that you can select from 3.5 to 22, in this
mode the camera works  at 1/30 shutter speed only,
it's the only no automatic shutter speed and the only
to use with flash. BTW I guess you could use the flash
at the B position too (the B position is a green zone
in the functions window and again you can select from
3.5 to 22 f aperture).
BTW,since the Rolleimagic II has the manual option for
shutter speeds, diaphragm and EV, you can use the
flash from B, 1/30(the slower shutter speed)to 1/500,
the faster shutter speed. The faster shutter speed for
the I model is 1/300 and it works in Auto only.

All the best
Carlos

--- Slobodan Dimitrov <s.dimitrov@xxxxxxxxxxx>
escribió:

> [...]
> That is, it wont fire first, and then have the
> shutter go off.
> I might have an old 'pin' and 'washer' floating
> around a box of
> parts. If I find it, I'll take a shot of it and post
> it.
>
> Slobodan Dimitrov
> Studio G-8, AGCC
> http://sdimitrovphoto.com
>

> On Oct 21, 2005, at 6:22 PM, Carlos Manuel Freaza
> wrote:
>
> > Thanks and very interesting Slobodan, it's a pity
> that
> > I did not know it when I had my Rolleimagic I (I
> sold
> > it three years ago and one of the reasons was I
> > couldn't use flash).
> > I never had the camera manual, however I have
> > discovered five minutes ago that in my Rollei book
> by
> > Emanuel, he explains that the Rolleimagic flash
> socket
> > works in X if you put at the center a 3mm pin(this
> is
> > all the explanation), but he does not explain the
> way
> > to do it.
> > I'll save your message for future reference, I
> always
> > liked the Rolleimagic compactness and I'd like to
> have
> > another one again, a II if possible.
> > BTW, with the Magic I you could use the electronic
> > flash at 1/30 only, with the II from 1/30 to
> 1/500.-
> >
> > All the best
> > Carlos
> >

> >  --- Slobodan Dimitrov <s.dimitrov@xxxxxxxxxxx>
> > escribió:
> >

> >> Actually the shoe can accommodate an electronic
> >> flash. Preferably the
> >> Nikon SB10, tilted upright, or the Holga mini
> flash.
> >> One needs to take apart a synch cord for parts.
> >> The PC terminal's internal contact, the center
> post,
> >> has to be cut
> >> from its plastic surroundings.
> >> Once out it will look like a small post or rivet.
> >> Around it is a very small plastic tube used to
> >> center it.
> >> Save that, as you'll need to cut a piece of it to
> >> make a thin washer
> >> from it.
> >> Going back to the small post, trim it a bit off
> so
> >> that it won't
> >> protrude from the PC socket  on the 'Magic.
> >> Afterwards bend the post
> >> slightly so that it will stay on the PC socket
> >> snugly.
> >> Before placing the post onto the camera's socket
> be
> >> sure to place
> >> that little washer on the post so that it won't
> >> ground on the body.
> >> It will fit upside with the head being the
> contact
> >> point for your flash.
> >> Experiment with the washer's thickness until you

=== message truncated ===