[rollei_list] Re: Rolleiflex in unusual places

  • From: Thor Legvold <tlegvold@xxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 1 Oct 2011 21:17:06 +0200

Nothing against the organization or it's meetings, but I'll bet it's just some
stock photo of a random hipster trying to look cool. You can't avoid them these
days, and they seem to be co-opting all the things that used to be quirky,
forgotten or nerdy, or that required genuine interest and dedication to master.
Today it seems more like a badge of coolness used by these people, more regalia
than anything with any real practical meaning. I.e. she has a cell phone with
which she takes all her shots and posts to Facebook and Tumblr and Twitter. The
Rolleiflex is for acceptance in her hipster clique and although she might even
run a roll through now and again, it's either improperly exposed, developed or
forgotten in a drawer somewhere. (To be fair, many of my rolls are improperly
exposed and/or developed!). I see the same people with Leicas all the time,
they buy them to show that they're in the know, not to actually use them for
anything.

Just some random thoughts...

Thor