[rollei_list] Rolleiflex Automats

  • From: Marc James Small <msmall@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2005 19:00:34 -0400

At 05:19 PM 8/29/05 -0500, Peter J Nebergall wrote:

>I'm new to the list.  I learned, long years ago, on a Yashica A.
>Graduated to a Rolleicord V I still have, and just bought an Automat
>(postwar)  its not even here yet.  I also have a 1930s STANDARD II that
>somehow seems to still work, which is good, as I am a re-enactor
>(SS-Kriegsberichter) and that means I really can get images while in
>character...
>
>The few posts I've read never mention Automats... are they just too old,
>or not to the standard of the 3.5f and 2.8f?
>
>Please forgive my ignorance, I've spent more time with my Super Ikonta, &
>know that system better...

Peter

First, the Automat line was the standard WWII  War Correspondents' camera.
Capa, for instance, used one on the way in at D-Day and that epic shot of
Douglas MacArthur wading ashore at Leyte was made on another.

Second, US folks always speak of there being four variants of the breed.
However, in the eyes of Franke & Heidecke, there were only three versions,
with the 1939 Automat III simply continuing in Postwar production even when
fitted with a coated Zeiss or Schneider lens.

The Automat is the oldest Rolleiflex model which can still enjoy a
relatively wide supply of parts:  the locking knobs on the film reels, for
instance, are no longer available new but these can be replaced seamlessly
by the newer non-locking knobs.

I do have a Postwar Automat III and use it frequently.  It is a grand
camera.  My later 2.8F and 2.8GX are more to my taste, but it does me some
good on occasion to think of Carl Mydans and his Automat!

FINALLY:  there is one request put out on this list, and that is for Zeiss
serial numbers.  I would appreciate the following:

For your Rolleiflex cameras, please provide the following:

Body Serial Number
Shutter Type and, where available, the shutter serial number if it is a
Deckel product (Compur or Synchro-Compur or the like)
Lens type:  this is complex, but please identify the lens producer (Carl
Zeiss Jena, Zeiss-Opton, or Carl Zeiss), whether the lens seems to be
coated, whether the lens is marked as coated (a red T with at least two
modifications of this marking, or, for the latest cameras, a red T* or
HFT), and please state whether the lens is defined in cm or mm (that is,
f/3.5 5cm or f/3.5 50)

I would appreciate the same for your Super Ikonta.  The shutter serial
number is a bear to read but it is more accessible on this magnificent
camera than on most Rolleiflex TLR's.

If your are concerned over security, you can send this information to me by
private e-mail.  The data will be forwarded to Charlie Barringer, the
co-author of Hove Press's ZEISS COMPENDIUM, who maintains the Zeiss Lens
List and who sanitizes the data he maintains to ensure that personal
information is stripped from his files.

Thanks!

Marc