[rollei_list] Rolleiflex 2.8D arrived

  • From: Thor Legvold <tlegvold@xxxxxxx>
  • To: rolleiusers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2008 14:02:46 +0100

It came in the post today, and it looks pretty good from my first
assesment.

There are a few small parts of leather that have turned brown, as
well as some Zeiss bumps. Almost no brassing, just a small bit of
worn paint a few places. A few tiny specks  of green gunk (copper
patina) under the back hinges and take up spool 'button'. Focussing
is smooth and even, and the finder is surprisingly bright and easy to
focus. I love the sports finder with retro focusing mirror, although
the mirror has a lot of spots and has lost much of it's reflectivity.
I went to open it up and put in a roll of film, only to discover
there was already a roll of film inside! Closed it up quick and am
hoping for the best...

I had a few questions:

1. With the EV system, are the shutter speed/aperture linked so that
moving one moves the other? It doesn't seem to work that way. There
is an EV pointer on the shutter speed dial that moves when one
adjusts ss/aperture, is that how it's supposed to work (i.e. manually
lining up the arrow?). I thought that by putting the button on the
aperture dial in one position, it locked the two dials together so
that they moved in sync. No?

2. Where can I find a strap? I plan on hanging it off my neck for the
most part.

3. Mine came with a lens hood for the taking lens, which I understand
is a good thing. Maybe I should have a lens cover just the same, for
when it's in a bag/travelling? Is eBay the best place to pick one up?

4. Lens coating. The viewing lens is clearly coated, it has a
purpilish glow that's quite easy to see. I'm less sure about the
taking lens (Planar) however, to me it looks uncoated. It does not
have the pale amber glow I've seen on some, nor the blueish glow some
early Zeiss lenses had. Does this necessarily mean anything? Should I
see a colour haze in the reflected glass, or are there coatings that
are transparent. This looks like regular plain clear glass to me.

5. After shooting a test roll or two (or three), I plan on sending it
off for a CLA. Is there anything I can do about the Zeiss bumps, or
is this also handled by those doing a CLA? As I'm in Europe, I won't
be using Fleenor. Probably one of the German, Dutch or UK guys.

6. The outside 'button' or roller that holds the take up spool in
place has a dial with 1-40 and a red dot on it. What is this for?
35mm film?

Any absolutely necessary accesories I should look that are must haves
for a TLR? I have a small compact light meter already :-).

Well, I'm out to shoot up the rest of the roll and make a few tests.
Too bad I forgot my light meter today, I'll see how far I get with
sunny 16 and remembering what Sunday's EV values were (was out at the
beach with the Contax IIa).

Oh, Marc, if you're still keeping records over cameras, here's the
data for this one:

Rolleiflex 2.8D
Body: 1614016
Heidosmat: 746433