[rollei_list] Re: Rolleiflex 2.8

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2014 19:21:59 -0800

----- Original Message ----- From: "mail1" <mail1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, February 28, 2014 3:31 PM
Subject: [rollei_list] Re: Rolleiflex 2.8

EK 120 B&W film? Is this a typo?

Jonathan

I have not heard anything but the loss of Kodak as a supplier of 120 size B&W would be serious although Ilford makes decent tabular grain film. The recent news that Paramount pictures is discontinuing the use of motion picture film for distribution is more disturbing. Although many producers like film for original photography the bulk of film is used for release prints. An increasing number of theaters are running on electronic projection. There are good business reasons for this but its disturbing nonetheless. I think if the motion picture industry stops using film, at least in the amounts it has until recently, Kodak will get out of the film business altogether. I have no idea what will happen. While EK has sold off parts of its operations it seem reluctant to license anyone to make film. I think they still make the best of some products and hold a huge number of patents on chemical photography. We will see what happens. Meanwhile Ilford has become the mainstay of B&W photography. I wonder what will happen to color film if Kodak quits that business.

--
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles