[rollei_list] Re: Rollei: ebay What is the story line on this one !

  • From: Carlos Manuel Freaza <cmfreaza@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2005 14:28:48 +0000 (GMT)

About the Rollei Panorama Head and the stitched panos
there were interesting and intensive topics in the old
Rollei list, I think the archives are in Digistar.
Only as example about some problems with the stitched
panos, I repeat now a commentary I wrote on the pano
that I took and you quoted in your email:

You need a suitable subject to avoid problems when you
stitch the frames;even rotating the camera on the
right point (the entrance pupil)that allows a perfect
matching for the frames, the horizontal curved lines
very close to the camera and large water and sky
surfaces could cause serious problems to stitch the
panorama.
The horizontal curved lines very close to the camera
if are present and continuous for two or more frames
can show a distortion for the perspective causing a
loss of naturalness in the image for the spectator if
evident too much (I remember Richard K. example about
the tenis or golf balls). Large sky and water surfaces
are a serious problem for the tonal balance, on color
stitched panoramas specially; while the prints made in
the pro lab show a natural variation for the color
tones through the frames, if you scan these prints or
the negs they could show an incredible tonal variation
for each frame even maintaining identical scanning
values, to obtain a good balance for these cases is
impossible sometimes, these panos are useful stitched
like prints only.
But you can obtain good results if the subject does
not contain large uniform surfaces and the lines close
to the camera are vertical or straight horizontal.-

Thank you to look the photos.-

All the best
Carlos

_http://www.rollei-gallery.net/itar/image-85445.html_