[rollei_list] Re: Rollei TLR - The History by Ian Parker

  • From: Jeffery Smith <jls@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 06 Sep 2006 16:38:53 -0500

One of the math faculty here went to New York and attended a concert of the NYP conducted by Kurt Masur. Some distance into the 1st movement, some guy kept coughing, so Masur stopped the orchestra, turned around, and yelled "SHUT UP!!!!!" That didn't do much for his image.

At 01:17 PM 9/6/2006, you wrote:

The nicest world-class, old school conductor I ever met was Bruno Walter. For years, I thought the nastiest was Fritz Reiner. My father played with the Chicago Symphony when I was a boy and I attended rehearsals from time to time. I thought these sessions were pretty neat until the day Reiner screamed at my dad for missing a cue. That scared the geewhillikers out of me and steered me away from music as a career.

Craig
all better now in Washington, DC