[rollei_list] Rollei M42 automatic adapter issue

  • From: CarlosMFreaza <cmfreaza@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2015 09:41:36 -0300

Rollei manufactured M42 adapters to use M42 lenses on QBM cameras. One of
the models is called "automatic" because it has an inner ring which is
split into
two from the half of the ring; it has a movement that allows to focus
keeping the lens automatic diaphragm function (you need to stop down for
light metering anyway). I have this "automatic" M42 adapter but never had
used it.

The Last week-end I checked my automatic M42 adapter and discovered
something I couldn't find exactly described in my Rollei literature,
including Prochnow and the like. My adapter works fine for the Rolleiflex
SL 35 QBM I only, turning enough to reach the right camera bayonet lock
position; it does not turn up to the camera bayonet lock position  for
cameras with QBM II/III (SL35M, and E and Voigtländer VSL3- E for my case).
The inner ring has something that jams the adapter in the QBM II/III camera
bayonet slot (for open diaphragm light metering) avoiding the adapter to
reach the lock position when you turn it. The adapter adjusts fine for
these three cameras and the M42 lens can be focused to infinity, but you
could suddenly have the camera hanging from your neck without the lens and
without notice. It happened to me but there was no problem because I knew
the risk and my hand was always holding the lens.

Rollei Report IV (Prochnow) and Captain Jack's Rollei SL 35 pages describe
only one Rollei  M42 adapter before the SL 2000 cameras era to preserve the
lens automatic diaphragm function and they say it is useful for every QBM
versions; this is not my experience with my Rollei M42 "automatic" adapter.
It's possible my adapter needs some slight adjustment for the inner ring
somewhere, I don't know. Otherwise, I have an earlier M42 "automatic"
adapter made for the SL 35 only; I don't believe it really, but it wouldn't
be the first time a Rollei accesory is not described in the Rollei
literature.