[rollei_list] Re: Really Off-Topic, paraxial lenses for digital cameras

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 1 Jul 2009 15:59:04 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "Don Williams" <dwilli10@xxxxxxx>
To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, July 01, 2009 3:24 PM
Subject: [rollei_list] Really Off-Topic, paraxial lenses for digital cameras

I know this is really off topic but I also know there are several
folks in this group that can quickly answer my questions.

(I also note that there is a gradual acceptance, even among the die-hards out there, that digital photography has at least some place in the world today. To those I apologize for even asking these
questions, and for the loss of MF Kodachrome.)

There is a common term used by various vendors, "digital lens". It's obvious that there is nothing "digital" about the lens. What the term "digital" refers to is how the light is delivered to the sensor.

My thought, based on attending several trade shows in Vegas in the days of trade shows, is that a digital lens is one that presents all the light for a specific point on the sensor at a 90 degree angle to the sensor. Olympus makes much of this in their discussion of
paraxial lenses and their four-thirds system.

The sensing elements in a digital sensor are separated by ridges, the height of which I don't know. Any light destined for a specific sensor will be shadowed by the rims of those ridges- Imagaine the effect you would have with a standard photo lens if the ridges were 1/4" deep. Only the elements in the central zone of the sensor would get any light. The sensors at the edge would be completely shadowed by the rims of the ridges. Of course that's an exaggeration, but as
a mental exercise it is useful.

My guess is that a regular lens designed for film work would be just fine if the distance from the real element to the sensor is large, but if that distance is short, the film-designed lens would have
brightness fall-off at the edges.

I have done some searches recently on "paraxial" lenses and get so many hits that I can't find the ones I used to see. Also, Olympus USA still uses a description for their Zukor lenses that mentions the 90 degree incidence angle, but all technical content beyond that has
been dropped.

Richard, Emmanuel, and also those who have actually designed digital systems and scanners, and anyone else out there, can you help me on this?

Richard- just one page please, something I can understand.

(I still don't understand why my film scanner doesn't care very much if the film is not flat against the glass, how does it still produce
sharp scans?)

Finally, two more questions-

1. What has happened to the Bayer sensor design?

2. Is it true that Kodak is the biggest sensor producer, in terms of
quantity, or is that just a rumor?

DAW

You mean telecentric. Telecentric lenses have one pupil at infinity. While it seems counter intuitive that means the light at one side of the lens is parallel. Such lenses have been used for many decades in profile projectors because slight movement of the object does not affect the size of the projected image. In the case of a lens made for a digital sensor where the actual sensing points are in a shallow tube using a telecentric lens with the exit pupil at infinity prevents light being blocked by the tube. I don't have a simple explanation of how such lenses are designed but they are common and the design technique is well known and covered by standard texts on lens design. No magic, just more expensive.

--
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA