[rollei_list] OT: first Contax IIa arrived

  • From: Thor Legvold <tlegvold@xxxxxxx>
  • To: rolleiusers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2006 15:10:59 +0200

And it looks sweet!

My first impression was that this was a new camera. On closer inspection, it is indeed used, but has been well taken care of. The glass is incredible. No T marking on this one (Zeiss-Opton Nr 1124944 Sonnar 1:1,5 f=50mm), but the aperture blades are a thing of beauty, they almost look like they've been lapped and create a perfect circle at any aperture setting. There are a few tiny niggles here and there (tiny bit of scratchy-ness at one extreme focusing position, ditto for aperture, but hardly noticable, negligable amounts of wear on chrome and paint, etc) but all in all the camera looks to be in excellent condition. The case looks new, no cracks or wear on the leather, chrome is shiny and complete, little wear on the red velvet inside.

I tried out all the shutter speeds before loading film, and inspected the glass. Judging roughly (i.e. counting with a seconds display in front of me) the slow speeds seem to be ok. I can't really judge the fast one's without a TV or other test instrument. The glass looks perfect, not a mark, clean and clear all the way through. No oil on aperture blades. A very nice touch that the aperture is continuous, with no click stops.

So I loaded up a roll of Provia and have shot 15 frames already, mainly as a test (all shutter speeds at f5,6, as well as f1,5/1250 and f16/50 both against the light and with sun at my back, all with lens shade attatched to check for flare & such). The shutter sounds like a precision watch. Can you tell I'm enjoying myself? :-)

The only downsides so far are:
No framelines. I have absolutely no idea what will be part of the picture and what will not. I guess I'll know soon enough. If/when I pick up another lens, I suppose I'll have to shoot a roll to figure out what part of the finder ends up on film. Or is there an easier way?
Finder is a bit dim and not that easy to work indoors or situations without an abundance of light. I guess I'll either stay at f4 or above, or practice. It does seem exceptionally accurate, registering very slight changes (f.x. focusing on a plant I can select which leaf or flower is in focus). Also a nice touch that the focusing wheel and finder image coincide, showing which way to turn the wheel to acheive focus.
Close focus distance isn't very close (3 feet/1m).

The body is about the same size and weight as my FM2, but the lenses are so small that it still ends up being much smaller and neater. It looks like a tiny jewel :-).

Just thought I'd share that with all of you, hope you don't mind.

Cheers,
Thor