[rollei_list] Re: OT: Rational Discussion

  • From: Elias_Roustom <elroustom@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2010 17:25:12 -0400

I think one disadvantage of the internet has been the balkanization of news sources which make it harder for people to find the common ground nescescary for rational discussion.

On the other hand, if one keeps cool, and remembers there is a person you could very well share a pew with otherwise on the other end of the network, especially in forums like this - where the digressive rant is unpredictable - you get exposed to opinions and reactions you wouldn't get anywhere else. You and I Larry may get along really well, and maybe could drink a few beers while complaining about Marc, but in few situations would we ever get to know what Marc has to say, or what he thinks about what we hold dear or consider the truth.

A challenge, no matter how thoughtful or thoughtless, to how and what we think is always worth the trouble, or we'd never know the difference between what we come to out of conviction, or what we come to because we're comforted by it.

What is troubling though is how intractable some of the positions are (or seem). After a few exchanges it becomes a waste of time, and aggravation to boot. None of us are rught, the best any of us can be is honest and respectful. When we don't have that, then nothing is going to come out of any dialogue.

Elias