[rollei_list] Re: OT: Pre-war/war time T coated Sonnar 2/50 lens

  • From: Marc James Small <marcsmall@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 04 Sep 2010 01:09:00 -0400

At 12:51 AM 9/4/2010, CarlosMFreaza wrote:
>Thank you very much for the data Marc, 20 MAR 1947 (with Germany still
>almost destroyed) is close enough to the war to confirm CZ Jena was
>applying the T process for commercial lenses previously.

Didn't I send you one of my LTM lens books? Argh! I thought I had! Check the footnotes for the earliest T-Coated CZJ lenses. These seem to date from 1938. I own a 1.5/5cm CZJ Sonnar T made in early 1939 which was sold in March of that year in Roanoke, Virginia, with a Contax III. Earlier ones are known.

The "T" designation was not always applied to coated lenses. Folks had to pay for the marking. Thus, there are a lot more coated lenses floating about than are so marked. The same thing happened later with the T* coating. It is remarkable that Oberkochen in 1968 would adopt the same approach taken by Jena in 1938.

Again, Carlos, if you did not receive my book, I'll send you another. That is really my devotion to the history of lens coating.

Marc

msmall@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Cha robh bàs fir gun ghràs fir!