[rollei_list] Re: OT: Enlarging Lenses

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 1 Jan 2013 09:17:51 -0800

----- Original Message ----- From: "J M N" <retinaiiic@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, January 01, 2013 7:42 AM
Subject: [rollei_list] OT: Enlarging Lenses

It seems to me that I once read when making photo enlargements Ansel Adams recommended a slightly larger than normal focal length enlarging lenses. I can't find my notes or any references to verify this. Can anyone concur or disagree with this concept? The longer lens will have less fall off of illumination at the margins. Enlarging lenses are designed to have optimum sharpness over a small range of magnification so a longer lens may be somewhat out of its "optimum" range but, except for extremely critical work. I don't think this is of much significance. As an example of the fall off problem I use a 135mm lens for 4x5 because of the limited support height of my enlarger. I have made it a routine to burn in the corners of prints made from whole negatives a little to keep them from going light. If I had the room I would prefer to use a 5x7 lens, say 210mm for 4x5.

--
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles