[rollei_list] OT: Digital Imaging and 'Stacking'

  • From: Marc James Small <marcsmall@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2012 04:35:36 -0400

At 03:53 AM 3/28/2012, Laurence Cuffe wrote:

It is, as I see it at this time, essentially a software problem. Using a High dynamic range methodology, taking two or three frames in quick succession, it should be possible to capture the dynamic range of conventional films. This method has been used to produce deeply weird results which are a current internet photography meme, but it could also be used to produce a more conventional image with more shadow detail and less blown highlights. This type of multiple frame image capture is already available in the mobile phone sector, and probably on some digital cameras, although I'm not aware of which ones. In practice shooting I would expect the entire capture process to take place on a fractions of a second time scale, which might preclude very active shots, but which would cover most normal shooting. It would in principle be similar to the automatic bracketing that some high end film cameras indulge in if you let them.

Astronomers, professional and amateur, use this 'stacking' methodology. There are several folks over on the Questar List at Yahoo! who routinely do this. They prefer a dedicated astrophotography camera, of course, and eschew the finest of DSLR's. (These astrophotography cameras are dedicated fixed-focus cameras with a very high resolution over a small frame.) These folks run this through a computer, normally a lap top but, sometimes, their desk top models. They normally shoot several THOUSAND images over a relatively brief period and then 'stack' them for publication. None of these folks are professional photographers, though one is the guy who shares with our former host, Brian Reid, the reputation of having been the man who developed the 'red state/blue state' dichotomy in US politics. (I do not believe that either was aware that the other was being credited with this until I told them about it. They seem to be quite unacquainted.)

The cost of such a rig is relatively low. The cost of the telescope may be high -- twenty years back, I paid $1800 for my very used 1962 Quartz 3.5 Questar, more than I paid a year later for my Rolleiflex 2.8GX -- and the lap top will cost you $600 or so if you dedicate it to making astrophotographs. The camera will cost you anywhere from $200 and up to $2000, though even the low-end models work quite well once you start stacking. The software ranges in price from that ultimate grin-maker, free, to around $1,000. A minor charge for electricity, and Bob's your uncle.

I have reverted to my traditional role in hull defillade and no longer take pictures, even with the ease afforded by my Canon Rebel DSLR. When I had a chemical darkroom, I loved to blast off ten rolls and to process and print them, but, now, with digital, the thrill is gone. I last shot six or eight months back, and that was simply for some happy-snaps of my wife meeting up wiith one of her two nieces. (We are old folks: my wife and I are now 62 and I believe Amber is in her early 30's.) Forty years ago, an acquaintance in the Nutmeg State told me that I was 'simply a gear-head, no more and no less', and that fits me in large measure. I am, in the end, much more interested in HOW an image is produced than in viewing the image. I am happy with my own photographs but, at the same time, I really am not a critical judge of photography in general.

A fellow on another photo list asked me if I was going to rush out to photograph the conjunction of three planets with our Moon. I laughed when I got his query and simply said that I had done a lot of astrophotography since 1963 but that I was pretty shut of it now.

Be well, Rollei People!

Marc

msmall@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Cha robh bàs fir gun ghràs fir!