[rollei_list] OT: Bessa II

  • From: Mike Bischof <nbg90455@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2007 23:15:18 -0700 (PDT)

Marvin,
  I got a Voigtlander Bessa II from Jurgen K. (www.certo6.com/) about a year
ago, after much research, and it's been an awesome choice. Since I got it from
him rather than ePray, it was in flawless (user) shape, and I have not had any
issues with the camera. I "only" got the version with the Color-Skopar lens
(Tessar equivalent), and even wide-open it is pretty good.

  I use it for architecture/travel photography, so I usually try to keep it at
f8 (f5.6 max) -- it is a Tessar-design lens -- but I've shot it once or twice
at the full f4, and it is definitely acceptable. I heard that the other lenses
(Heliar and Apo-Lanthar) are even better, but since this was a bit of a test
purchase (wasn't sure the camera would work for my purpose), their prices were
a bit rich for me -- maybe some other day.

  If you are wondering what considerations went into my "research," here were
my criteria. I wanted a camera with the following criteria:
   - 120 film with 6x9 size
   - coupled rangefinder
   - sharp lens
   - lens NOT front-cell focussing
   - sturdy & reliable camera

  Essentially a camera for B&W film, and for situations where I can't use my
(tripod-mounted) 4x5 -- without too much of a loss of quality in my final B&W
prints.

  When I heard about Jurgen and his website, I actually sent him these
questions, and the Bessa II was one of his suggestions...

  Hope this helps,
  Mike

Marvin Wallace <Marvin0@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  I have noticed that prices on Voigtlander Bessa II's are ok at the moment. I
have heard that the lenses are amazing but that the body is inadequately
engineered. Is anyone able to direct me to a site with photographs taken
with this camera, or would anyone like to comment on this camera.
Thanks in advance,
Marvin.

  Mike Bischof
Delhi, India