[rollei_list] Re: OT: Back Focus and TLR/SLR Lens Types (was 2.8F opton?)

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2008 19:22:13 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "Eric Goldstein" <egoldste@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, July 07, 2008 5:48 PM
Subject: [rollei_list] OT: Back Focus and TLR/SLR Lens Types (was 2.8F opton?)

OK, Carlos has supplied a link which verifies that the 5 element 80/2.8 Biometar is common between a MF SLR and a Rollei TLR. You are saying that the BF for the Planar/Xenotar/Biometar 80/2.8 5 element is
common at about 80% of FL.

Yet we know that the Planar 80/2.8 is not a common design between Rollei TLR and Rollei SLR (or Hasselblad SLR). So the Praktica can accommodate a lens which the Rollei and Hasselblad SLRs cannot. Carlos wonders if it is the difference in shutters. I wonder if it is a
difference in reflex mirror designs.

Any thoughts?

Eric Goldstein

Its possible. There was a 1930s SLR, not sure if it was the KW or not, that had an arrangement where the mirror hinge slid backward a little as the mirror came up. That allowed the use of physically longer lenses than is usual for an SLR. I have no idea if this was ever used in a modern 120 or 35mm SLR. Without a schemtatic of the the lenses and maybe other data its pretty hard to know if the SLR version of the Biometar was made retrofocus but it may have been. I suspect it would need more than five elements to do it but I am not a qualified lens designer. I think also that because the mirror dimention does not have to be the full size of the frame it may be possible that it clears a standard type lens of "normal" focal length. Remember, the mirror is midway in the optical path, the swinging part being closest to the lens where the cone of light from the lens has not spread out yet, so it does not have to be the full size of the film. My Nikon is like this where my Graflex has a larger mirror mainly because it has a rotating back, that is, the mirror must accomodate the larger vertical dimension when the back is in the vertical position. This isn't necessary in a camera with a fixed back and the long dimension of he film perpendicular to the direction of mirror movement. Since Exakta was mentioned I will point out that the lens most often used on these at one time was a 55mm Biotar but the longer FL is evidently not necessary because a number of conventionally designed 50mm lenses were also available for it. For instance I have a 50mm Zeiss Pancolar on mine. Again, I think the radius of the mirror is smaller than one would think.

---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA
dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx