[rollei_list] Re: (No Date: Sun, 7 Mar 2010 16:12:20 -0500

  • From: Allen Zak <azak@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 7 Mar 2010 22:36:42 -0500

In my view, the 75 mm lens in 6X6 is about ideal because it simplifies things. One of my favorite out-and-about kits is a Rollei, light meter, a few accessories and film in a compact camera bag (well, sometimes a tripod, too.) It is supremely portable and there isn't much I can't handle with that setup. If a photo opportunity comes up for which another focal length lens would have been more suitable, I wouldn't have had it with me anyway because of the extra weight. I prefer the 75 mm focal length to the 80 mm because it includes just that bit more on the negative, leaving an option to crop later. Since a 1939ish Rolleiflex Automat was the first serious camera I ever used, at this point I am convinced my preference has more to do with imprinting than technical or aesthetic criteria. However, unless you are willing to crop drastically, there is a place for longer focal lengths in portraiture. This is more for the sake of the subject than the photographer because of perspective considerations. Most people consider the 75-80 mm close-up to be unflattering. Richard Avedon got away with it because he was essentially producing caricatures of his sitters, who usually deserved it. But I like the focal length as an all-arounder and don't mind cropping.

Allen Zak

On Mar 7, 2010, at 4:40 PM, Marvin wrote:

Thanks for the post Allen. I find myself agreeing with your post.

It's interesting to me that the photographers who used Rolleis well who have been mentioned previously, used them within their design limitation, such as
Diane Arbus.

The 75-80 mm lens is suited to portraiture 3-4 feet or more from the
subject, with a head and shoulders to full body perspective-proving a little context around the subject. When used skilfully the marque is wonderful.
What do you think?
Marvin