[rollei_list] Re: James Dean, Rolleiman!

  • From: Slobodan Dimitrov <s.dimitrov@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2005 08:58:54 -0800

Back in the late 70's, as one of my college jobs, I worked at a rental darkroom called Artcraft in Westwood. A guy showed up one day to make proof sheets from a set of 35mm negs. It turned out that these were shots of Dean working on the Spider before driving up the coast. If memory servers correctly, I think he said these were the last images taken of him (other than the coroner's).
I saw those reproduced once, but they've since slipped off the radar.
Anyone know what's happened with those shots?

Slobodan Dimitrov Studio G-8, Angels Gate Cultural Center http://sdimitrovphoto.com

On Nov 11, 2005, at 7:27 AM, Carlos Manuel Freaza wrote:

Bob, there is an exhibit about James Dean in Berlin
now. The exhibit shows the real Dean's Rolleiflex
camera and Dean's Porsche copy, also photos about Dean
and photos taken by Dean using the Rolleiflex. There
is a brochure about the exhibit here:
http://www.camerawork.de/documents/dean.pdf

The news about the exhibit here:
http://www.energylab.de/wordpress/?p=1240

All the best
Carlos
 --- Bob Shell <bob@xxxxxxxxxxxx> escribió:

On Friday, November 11, 2005, at 09:52 AM, Eric Goldstein wrote:

Stan Yoder wrote:
I was in a picture-framing shop t'other day, and,
idly browsing bins
of 12" x 36" prints, came upon one of actor James
Dean. He was
dressed in an overcoat, standing in the middle of
an urban street,
and, mirabile dictu, sporting a Rollei TLR on his
chest, hood closed
and lenscap on. Looked like a Tessar/Xenar model.

http://www.jamesdean.com/about/photos/walking.htm

Eric Goldstein

Can you guys really tell that's a Rollei? The quality of the photo isn't good enough to read the nameplate. Could it be a Yashicamat?

Bob

- Subscribe at rollei_list-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
with 'subscribe'
in the subject field OR by logging into
www.freelists.org

with
'unsubscribe' in the subject field OR by logging
into www.freelists.org

___________________________________________________________ 1GB gratis, Antivirus y Antispam Correo Yahoo!, el mejor correo web del mundo http://correo.yahoo.com.ar