[rollei_list] Re: Help with fill in flash

  • From: "Neil Gould" <neil@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2005 14:44:14 -0500

Recently, you wrote:

> Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2005 23:32:24 +0200
> From: andrearicci@xxxxxxxxx
>
> Dear All
> I have a METZ 54 on a rollei 6008
> I would like to use it in manual in order to reduce to fractions the
> amount of light
> Should I set it in TTL and then choose the manual (both settings on
> the flash...is it possible)  ?
> Or I set the flash to manual and then the camera to full auto?
> How can I get decent color ?
> Can you suggest fill in flash procedures on a METZ?
> Many thanks

For the best control, I would use both the camera and flash in manual
mode. Spot meter the area that you want to fill, check it against the
highlight area of the scene, and you'll have an idea of how much fill to
provide.

If you want some level of automation, I'd set the camera on manual and the
flash on auto. Set the exposure for the scene (I'd go multi-spot for this
one) and use the power settings on the flash to adjust the amount of fill,
keeping in mind that full power may overexpose the area that you just want
to balance.

If you want to go full auto, set both the camera and the flash on TTL and
lock your spot reading on the value for the part of the subject that you
want to fill with flash.

All of these approaches can work well, but I find that the auto exposure
modes take more practice / bracketing. Hope this helps!

Neil