[rollei_list] Re: H. Scherer and Zeiss Contax

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2005 14:21:22 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "Douglas Shea" <dshea@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, April 04, 2005 10:39 AM
Subject: [rollei_list] Re: H. Scherer and Zeiss Contax

> Jerry,
> This is from Henry's site: "This service is included at no
> additional charge
> in the body overhaul service. The formation of the well
> known "Zeiss Bump"
> is the result of a chemical reaction between the tanning
> chemicals used in
> the leather, and the exposed copper in the exposed brass
> rivet heads used to
> hold the back pieces together. These bumps can be removed,
> but it is also
> necessary to cover the brass rivet tops with an insulating
> material to
> ensure the bumps will not reappear. This service removes
> the bumps and
> treats the rivet heads so that the bump removal is
> permanent."
> He has removed them from a few of my Contaxes with no
> reappearance.
>
> Doug

    These appear in many cameras. It may well be something
in the leather or it may be the adhesive used for the
leather. I think the amount of moisture the camera has been
exposed to also makes a difference. When the leather is
removed one can see a build up of green oxidation over brass
screws. I think a coating of laquer or an anti-corrosion
paint will prevent them from recuring. Speed Graphics also
get them.

---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA