[rollei_list] Re: GX responses, now Tele-Rolleiflex

  • From: `Richard Knoppow <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2020 02:08:37 -0800

   From my limited experience working on Rollei TLRs there is some linkage between the release button and the shutter, at least on the flex. On the cord and early flex the shutter release is direct. The linkage can become stiff.
   Now, there are two different mechanisms in Compur shutters. One is the older type of shutter which has a booster spring for the highest speed. The other is the EVS shutter which has a single drive spring. The "trigger pull" on the older shutter is significantly greater for the highest speed, the newer shutter is constant. The older type shutters were a real problem on cameras like the Speed Graphic which used magnetic solenoid flash synchronizers. If set up for synch at low speeds the solenoid would no longer be in synch for the highest speed. In fact, it might not be strong enough to trip the shutter at all. Also, because it drew a lot of current the bulb might not flash at the highest speed. Tjos was also a problem with the Kodak shutters which also had a second spring. Graflex and others who made flashguns offered an extension to the case holding an additional battery to overcome this. Of coarse it would also fire additional bulbs. Other shutters, for instance the Wollensak. had constant tripping pressure so did not suffer from this problem. I suspect early Rolleiflex cameras which were modified for solenoid synchronizers had the same problem.
   My 2.8E is the newest Rollei I have. It has the EVS shutter but the older type light meter. It has a smooth constant trip and is almost silent (judged back when I could hear).

On 1/29/2020 12:45 AM, Ferdi Stutterheim (Redacted sender fwstutterheim for DMARC) wrote:

Carlos,

The shutter release is not stiff. Half way the travel there is some resistance. I was told it is the meter switch. It has been this way from new. CLA helps a little bit but not much.

Ferdi.

Op 27 jan. 2020, om 13:45 heeft CarlosMFreaza <cmfreaza@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:cmfreaza@xxxxxxxxx>> het volgende geschreven:

El lun., 27 de ene. de 2020 06:45, wayne pinney <tennjed@xxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:tennjed@xxxxxxxxxxx>> escribió:

    "....Another thing that was important to me was the note,
    I think from Ferdi, about the stiffer shutter release on
    the GX. If I have one major complaint about my old 2.8D it
    is the fact that the shutter release is not so smooth. It
    is not terrible, but it is one of the things about the
    camera that I dwell on every time I use it. ..."

That is a CLA matter. My 3,5F and 2,8F received a complete CLA at FFS Service in Braunschweig, Germany within the last three years and I need to check the film transport crank sometimes to be sure I cocked the shutter, the button release is so smooth that I:m not sure I took the photograph if I did not hear the shutter for some reason, and it happens often...In the other hand, my 2, 8 C shutter release button is offering some resistance when you press it, but it was as smooth as the F shutter release button when its CLA was recent. If the memory serves me good, the GX shutter release button has cables and contacts close or around it and perhaps it could get dust and dirt more easily.
Carlos

    - Post to rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
    <mailto:rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

    - Subscribe at rollei_list-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
    <mailto:rollei_list-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> with 'subscribe'
    in the subject field OR by logging into www.freelists.org
    <//www.freelists.org/>

    <mailto:rollei_list-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> with
    'unsubscribe' in the subject field OR by logging into
    www.freelists.org <//www.freelists.org/>

    - Online, searchable archives are available at

Richard Knoppow
dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
WB6KBL

---