[rollei_list] Feynman letter

  • From: Don Williams <dwilli10@xxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2010 12:04:03 -0500

Got a lot of response about the Feynman Letter. Will email it this weekend, just to be sure all those interested are on the distribution.

We all know about his QED book, the Nobel Prize, his contribution to the Atomic Bomb, his teaching at CalTech, the Space Shuttle assignment, and the 3-volume set of lectures on Physics, in which he, for example, derives Snell's law in 3 lines!

This letter is not at all about physics but about his ability to love someone during a difficult time in his life, a side of his nature most of us never knew. When he worked at Los Alamos he earned about $300 per month, worked 80 hours per week, and with the costs for the care of his wife, had a net cash flow of negative $300 per month.

It's one of about 400 letters in the collection. If you want to know about the man, this book is worth having, even though it is relatively new and not yet on the half.com discount list.

Stand by, you will be impressed. Some of you will cry. I and some friends did.

DAW