[rollei_list] Expired in 1999 and VueScan

  • From: CarlosMFreaza <cmfreaza@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2012 10:11:49 -0300

2012/2/17 CarlosMFreaza <cmfreaza@xxxxxxxxx>:
> ...The subjects for the two firsts frames were cityscapes by
> night with good artificial illumination, I know very well the exposure
> for these subjects and have some samples in my gallery, however I got
> nothing this time, the frames are marked in the film but they did not
> capture the subject, perhaps the subjects needed a lot of exposure
> increase for this expired film..."

I believed I got nothing for the two nocturnal cityscapes frames, it
was my first impression hardly I was extracting the neg from the reel,
since they were the two first frames I thought I got nothing for the
entire roll, but the other frames appeared afterward. I was so sure I
got nothing there that I did not examine them on the lightbox when I
cut the frames for the scanner film holder, however I saw very weak
silhouettes in these frames when I was choosing the negs to scan
against light coming from a window, the lightbox confirmed it, too
weak frames but there was something there. I only obtained a blank
scan with my regular VueScan settings and with the original Epson scan
software , but I tried different settings combos with VueScan and the
image appeared finally, I thought it was imposiible for a flatbed
scanner to obtain an image from those two negs, they are not perfect
anyway and one of them is too grainy and showing too much little white
dots in the darker areas to be acceptable, but the other one is
better:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/itarfoto/6897960959/in/photostream

This is a portrait that VueScan helped to scan too, I'd like to have
taken it with fresh film:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/itarfoto/6897960577/in/photostream/