[rollei_list] Re: Drawbacks of being "delete happy" with digital (was: Digital printing v. Analog)

  • From: Ardeshir Mehta <ardeshir@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2005 23:38:03 -0400

On Saturday, April 16, 2005, at 08:48  PM, Ardeshir Mehta wrote:

> Did anyone consider the possibility that the grains of salt on the
> cracker in that advertisement were put there on a computer - that is
> to say, AFTER the photo was taken?

And further to this, we might bear in mind that digital photography
positively ENCOURAGES the photographer to take far more photos than
needed, for he can always delete the "unwanted" shots - and most often,
does. But that can be risky! For example, I read today that about six
months before the Monica Lewinsky scandal broke, a number of
photographers took pictures of Clinton hugging her at the White House.
Since at the time, it was only Clinton hugging an intern, most news
agencies deleted the shot. Months later, only one photographer still
had the shot ... because he used film! The digital photographers were
all "delete happy".