[rollei_list] Re: DDX substitute

  • From: `Richard Knoppow <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 3 Jun 2022 16:32:07 -0700

   Did you use T-Max or T-MaxRS? I don't know if both are available any more. RS means replenishing system. if you replenish the developer it will maintain pretty constant strength. However, you can't go on forever because eventually too much bromide and other reaction products build up. The streaking sounds like accumulated bromide.
   If you just keep using the same developer over and over it will loose strength and quality pretty quickly.
   I don't remember for certain but think Xtol can be replenished the same way as T-MaxRS, that is, using the working developer rather than a special formula as is the case with D-76 or DK-50.  Those are much harder to get consistent.
   Unless you process a lot of film I think using diluted developer as a one shot will give more consistent results.

On 6/2/2022 7:09 AM, David Stumpp wrote:

Hi Frédéric,

I used to use Kodak TMax Dev with FP4, my favourite of all modern films, and would try to keep it going for at least 10 rolls at a time. I started to experience problems with permanent streaking through the negatives that, in the end, I couldn't positively identify with any particular part of my process, particularly the developer, but TMax did work nicely when it worked. I'd assert that I had far more success with it than otherwise. In a determined effort to finally stop ruining rolls of film, though, I opted for doing one-shot developing, using Kodak HC-110 with the B mixing solution, and I've found that to work quite well.

Best wishes,
Dave