[rollei_list] Re: Contax on Everest

  • From: CarlosMFreaza <cmfreaza@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 27 Oct 2009 23:40:21 -0300

2009/10/27 Jan Decher <Jan.Decher@xxxxxxx>:
> Carlos,
> Looks like he is using the prewar Contax II (not  IIa !) with the 135mm
> Sonnar and the rotary (440) finder.
> Wonder if they used special lubes for high elevation/cold temperatures on
> their cameras?

Jan:
       The camera in that photograph is a Contax II with a Sonnar
135mm, I can't identify the auxilary viewfinder very well .
I could talk on the Rolleis TLR lubrication mainly; these cameras are
prepared to work with perfect lubrication up to about -30º Celsius
respecting the factory standard specs for the purpose, they use grease
and oil for low temperatures as standard and then a special
lubrication for cold is not required in general, if they work perfect
at -30º Celsius (-22º Fahrenheit) you could expect that they still
work at lower temperatures, perhaps -35/-40º Celsius.
Photographers- Mountaineers are recommended to keep the cameras on
their bodies for very low temperatures before to use them, and to
expose the camera to the external climate to shoot only, it diminishes
even more freeze risk.

In his book "Camera maintenance & repair" 2, Thomas Tomosy shows the
way to disassemble the Contax II/III, they are complicated cameras for
the shutter and film advance mechanisms and telemeter, they are
lubricated from factory and according Henry Scherer they need 5 types
of grease and 2 types of oil (Rollei TLR needs 15 types of grease and
2 types of oil according the factory repair manual), I guess the
Contax lubrication is for low temperatures too, at least after the
WWII when new and synthetic oils and greases appeared.
BTW, you can clean the shutter and to use it without lubrication,
Prochnow recommends it if you are a collector or if you use the camera
rarely, the lack of grease and oil avoids a jammed shutter after a
long time without use, but a no lubricated Compur shutter "life" will
be reduced from 30000 to 5000 releases and similar ratio for others
mechanical shutters.