[rollei_list] Clarifications about Rollei-branded film & MACO film plus Agfa-branded chemistry

  • From: Emmanuel Bigler <Emmanuel.Bigler@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2008 13:04:23 +0200

I got a nice answer to my questions relative to the origin of MACO- and Rollei-branded film by Mr. Henkel, who is an authorised MACO representative in France.

Slightly off-topic, but since it uses Rollei-branded items, I assume that we can seak about that without crossing too much the OFF-TOPIC barrier.

In short, most of the current MACO-ROLLEI film line is ex-Agfa Mortsel (Belgium) or Leverkusen (Germany, the former plant that no longer exists), with few specialzed films ex-ORWO/Filmotech (Germany).

The discussion is here (in French), the answers are given by an authorised dealer of Rollei & MACO film in France so the information is _not_ Internet gossip but offical statements.

The original message is here
http://www.galerie-photo.info/forum/read.php?f=1&i=73269&t=72907#reply_73269

and I take the liberty of a cut-paste it to this list.

 Rollei RSD Slide Direct = Agfa Gavaert  Mortsel, Belgium
   Rollei ATP 1.1 = Agfa Gavaert  Mortsel, Belgium
   Rollei Pan 25 = Agfa Gavaert  Mortsel, Belgium
   Rollei Ortho = ORWO/Filmotech
   Rollei R3 = ORWO/Filmotech
   Rollei Superpan 200 Pro = Agfa Gavaert  Mortsel, Belgium (Aviphot 200)
   Rollei Retro 80S = Agfa Gavaert  Mortsel, Belgium (Avi Pan 80)
   Rollei Retro 100 = Agfa Germania,  Leverkeusen 2005
   Rollei Retro 400 = Agfa Germania,  Leverkeusen 2005
   Rollei Retro 100S = Agfa Gavaert  Mortsel, Belgium
   Rollei Retro 400S = Agfa Gavaert  Mortsel, Belgium
   Rollei IR 820/400 = Agfa Gavaert  Mortsel, Belgium
   Rollei Digibase CN 200 = Agfa Gavaert  Mortsel, Belgium

At the same time I got a pack or 135 colour negative fimls branded AgfaPhoto, recently packed (expiry date 2010) where a long disclaimer, probably intented to Northern American Lawyers ;-) states that for this product, the AgfaPhoto brand is used under licence of Agfa-Gevaert NV (Belgium) and that by no ways this product is made by Agfa-Gevaert NV ; and all queries should be directed to the distributor, Lupus Imaging & Media GmbH & Co. KG

So the situation is not that clear !

Well, if we digress toward our favourite darkroom chemistry, the situation about the use of favourite Eurepean brand names like Rodinal seems, as of this summer 2008, to be extremely complex, as explained (in French) in the discussion quoted above. The problems are due to differences in rights of use of ex-Agfa-Leverkusen brand names in Germany and in Europe after the demise of Agfa-Leverkusen, it is likely that Rodinal and other favourite Agfa chemistry products will be soon sold under different brand names... just to increase the complexity of the situation, already passably obscure, for some European B&W films !! But good news, B&W paper equivalent to the former AGFA line is promised for the next months, everything being hopefully clarified at the 2008 Photokina in September 23-28.

--

So the situation about some famous B&W products made in Europe is still .... un-stabilized... even the well-know AGFA SISTAN image stabilizer will change name ;-) However, we are happy to see the "strategic" stock of Agfa-Mortsel Aerial film sold to the individual customer by MACO, be it under the Rollei brand or any other. Among AGFA aerial films, an announcement is made of a so-called Rollei Retro 80S film available in 135 and 120, actually cut from rolls of Agfa AVI PAN 80, credited with a resolution up to 287 cycles/mm, with an extended red sensitivity to 750 nm. So amateurs of planar versus xenotar sharpness contests, this is THE Rollei film you need to push your rollei to its limits and find the Truth About Which is the Best Sharpest Lens Ever ! ;-);-)

--
Emmanuel from France