[rollei_list] Cheaper black & white films

  • From: karqvlsg <sextant@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 09 Jun 2010 09:17:41 +0100

Just messing about I use Shanghai GP3. It is the cheapest film of all & I have burnt through around 20 rolls thus far. I would not call it my favourite though. It has rather feint printing on the backing paper, which means loading or winding on with any red-window camera needs a torch or bright daylight. It has a very springy base, which makes spiral loading frustrating and will not lie flat post-processing either. It makes scanning somewhat annoying when the strip of three negs has rolled itself up when you are trying to get it in a frame to scan it. It is also alleged to be rather grainy.

The other Chinese film - Lucky appears to have the same backing paper, hopefully not with the same feint printing. I have only used a few rolls of this so far. Hopefully it is not so springy. It does have a shorter process time, so the emulsion is different.

What of other List members experiences with Foma and EFKE/Adox.
I have used EFKE KB25 in 35mm, the slower stuff likes the old Rodinal (R09). No recent experience with the 120 stuff. The last time was when Jessops had it & I stuffed a Lubitel with some. This was 1987 so those negs have been pressing for 20+ years. I just tidied my film storage and came across 2x EFKE R100 and a R25.
Memory is often faulty. I don't remember curling issues with EFKE.

Lastly Foma.
The 200 and 400 emulsions do not deliver their 'box' speed. For best results I think you rate Foma 200 at around 150 ASA and Foma 400 is 200 ASA. Foma 100 is a genuine 100 speed. I have determined this for 35mm Fomapan. Fomapan 200 is supposed to be the best of the three. I have not shot a lot of Foma 120. I think it does tend to curl, maybe not as bad as Shanghai.

It goes without saying if it was something important or un-repeatable I would choose a product of Ilford or Kodak.