[rollei_list] Re: Baroque (was: Question on operating and on screen for Rollei GX and Hood)

  • From: "Max Weisenfeld" <max_weisenfeld@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 20 May 2005 11:48:10 -0400

Time is relative.

The word baroque is derived from the Italian barocco, meaning bizarre,
though probably exuberant would be a better translation more accurately
reflecting the sense. The usage of this term originated in the 1860s to
describe the highly decorated style of 17th and 18th century religious and
public buildings in Italy, Germany and Austria.  The above is quoted from
here:
http://www.baroquemusic.org/bardefn.html

The style of the Classical era is marked by many of these ideals, and it is
reflected in a number of musical elements:  Simpler textures: Homophonic
textures (usually melody and accompaniment) became the standard.
Contrapuntal texture was used sparingly, and for specific purposes.
Simpler melodies: Classical melodies usually fall into even phrases, and
often were organized into symmetrical "question and answer" structures.
Quoted from: http://www.essentialsofmusic.com/

So you see, with all their functions and controls, Modern Cameras are truly
"baroque," while older mechanical ones are, as we are wont to say,
"Classical."

Max, who really has better things to do than this but just can't help
himself.