[rollei_list] Re: Automat

  • From: Marc James Small <msmall@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 08 Sep 2005 19:36:16 -0400

At 04:17 PM 9/8/05 -0500, Peter J Nebergall wrote:
>My Automat just arrived.  It has a Tessar, in Compur-rapid, f3.5,
>#569248.  Camera is #1155146.  1947?  made up from prewar parts?  shows
>the "DRP" and "DRGM" of the Reich...  Lenses are coated.  Viewing lens
>has no label.  Viewing hood has a mirror-contraption that allows
>eye-level upside-down viewing, like on my Ikomat...

Thanks for all the numbers, Peter!

A warning:  your lens is clearly a Zeiss-Opton lens. There are Carl Zeiss
Jena lenses, and Zeiss-Opton lenses, and Carl Zeiss lenses, and all are a
bit different.  In any event, the Postwar West-German Zeiss entity ran its
numbers through Zeiss-Opton from roughly 10,000 to roughly 1,000,000 before
reclaiming the Carl Zeiss title in 1954;  by now, they are well into the
second decade of the millions, so your lens ranks as a rather early West
German product.

By 1947, I doubt that many Prewar Parts yet remained in the Franke &
Heidecke parts bins, as they had been in continous production through the
War and did not suffer the sort of physical damage as did Zeiss Ikon at
Dresden.  Yes, your camera might well contain some screws and nuts and
bolts produced before the outbreak of the War but the basic camera, though
made to a Prewar design, would have almsot certainly been made with
Postwar-maufactured parts.

Marc

msmall@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Cha robh bàs fir gun ghràs fir!