[rollei_list] Re: Aperture shape

  • From: Mike Kovacs <mskovacs@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2007 11:39:38 -0500

Exactly my experience. The shape doesn't seem to necessarily effect the smoothness of the OoF background but it does show in the highlights.

E.g. Rolleiflex Automat II w/ complex, round aperture:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mskovacs/338534601/in/set-72157594428227068/

E.g. Rolleiflex 2.8E w/ 5 blade aperture:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mskovacs/327199480/in/set-72157594428227068/

Of course, if you shoot wide open you don't see the aperture shape in the OoF highlights. I think this one was shot wide open, definitely on the 2.8E:

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/143/327199473_51f31be91b.jpg?v=0

Petr Dvorak wrote:

I think that Elias talks about the shape of aperture opening which may affect the resulting pictures. In my experience, the shape of the opening directly influences how the out-of-focus spot highlights are rendered in the picture. The spot highlights have similar shape as the aperture. I.e. for apertures with five aperture leaves in my SL66 lenses, the highlights have a shape of a pentagon. With apertures having more leaves shaped to form a circle, the highlights will be round and possibly more pleasing.

Cheers,
Petr