[rollei_list] Re: A non RF " Reflex focus beam" for the Rollei TLR

  • From: CarlosMFreaza <cmfreaza@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2012 18:58:18 -0300

I think this focusing aid for the TLR was never mentioned in this
forum,  at least I don't recall it. The accesory is called "Reflex
focus beam" and  was manufactured by Sutz Products from Chicago,
Illinois during the '50s. It is a rectangular box with a campling
spring as bracket containing two AA size batteries and a bulb within a
lens, the box is fitted against the focusing hood walls via the
campling spring  above and parallel to the focusing screen, a bit
higher than the  loupe position; the combo bulb-lens forms a round
light spot for the viewer projecting a bright image coming from the
focusing screen in dim ambient light, this light spot is used to focus
the subject, the box covers most of the the focusing screen surface
and then the light spot is pretty smaller than the entire focusing
screen increasing the spot brightness, a little flashlight can be used
to illuminate the subject, it's ideal for the light spot size. Claus
Prochnow writes that the image visual effect is simple and striking.

Carlos