[rollei_list] A PC Computer Query

  • From: Don Williams <dwilli10@xxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2008 19:33:14 -0500

At 04:53 PM 10/17/2008, Marc Small wrote:
I turn to you as this does have a bit of a photo twist. Allow me to keep it short.

For the past five or six years, I have used PhotoShop 5 as my scanning program. No, I do not understand the program but it does work to allow me to scan and to process PDF files. Or, well, it did.

A ten-day ago, I tired to scan a document and the program would not load. I fought with PhotoShop for a day or so and then figured, well, something has gone wrong. I deleted it and tried to reload it only to be met with some "Photosle" program which seems to read every program disk as a photo disk. I then went to the pre-emptory reload of Windows XP and was advised that, as I had permitted Microsoft to send me the periodic updates, I could no longer reload the basic program.

Don't do that again. What version of Windows are you on? You can get a CD with the current upgrades on it if you bought your computer from a manufacturer.

If you can't avoid starting some program, keep pressing F8 during boot and boot into safe mode. That will let you run just the basics and look at your system without starting some of those rogue programs. Select the version of safe mode that doesn't say something like "command line only", forgot what the option is.

Can you go to the control panel and find that Photosle program and delete it? I suppose you have tried, but if not, that's step one.

Any thoughts? Anyone know of a basic and free program which permits scanning of PDF files and basic manipulation of them? Or should I just do a basic dump of the entire hard-drive and start again from the ground?

Don't start again.  You can get there from here.

After you have cleaned up the best you can by doing uninstalls, try Google with a phrase such as Windows Live OneCare security scan and select only the cleanup scan. Run it on line. You can run the other free programs such as the security scan itself later, after you have done the cleanup.

Get rid of Ad Aware and spend $39 or so for a Microsoft OneCare, which will ask you to un install Ad Aware. I used to run Ad Aware but found it does more harm than good. If you don't want to pay for Ad Aware, then install the free Windows Defender. (A subset of OneCare)

Thanks for your thoughts. Oh, yes! I have run SpyBot and CCCleaner and Ad Aware, all to no avail. I do have an unknown program, TEATIMER.EXE, running which I cannot find to eliminate.

Ctrl-Alt-Del should bring up Task manager. See what applications are running there.

If you can't eliminate TeaTimer, at least Start>Run msconfig and see if it's in the startup list. If so, un check it. As an ultimate test, set msconfig to only run Microsoft programs for the next boot and see what turns up.

Finally, try the free Open Office at openoffice.org. I have it on my laptop and I think it does have the .pdf feature on it.

There is also a file converter that is free. I will try to find the name but it's on the laptop, forgot where I got it.

Don't forget that Microsoft released 9 free new security updates this week. Do you have your system set to download and install updates automatically every week?

Marc

msmall@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Cha robh b�s fir gun ghr�s fir!