[rollei_list] Re: 500/5.6 Tele Tessar for SL66 Comments

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 6 Jan 2007 08:39:24 -0800

----- Original Message ----- From: "Ellestad" <ellestad@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, January 05, 2007 11:44 PM
Subject: [rollei_list] Re: 500/5.6 Tele Tessar for SL66 Comments

Richard -

Is true APO performance focus distance specific?

Tim

It probably is to some extent but this is getting to the limit of my knowledge. Since coma and some other aberrations are distance dependant its likely that something like spherochromatism is also. Note that lenses with fixed position elements can be corrected for all aberrations at one distance only. Some lenses are more sensitive to change in distance than others. For instance, the very slow four element air spaced lenses used for process work (like the Apochromatic Artar) are relatively insensitive to change in distance. So the Artar will work well at infinity focus if stopped down a little despite being optimized for equal image and object distances (unit magnification). Probably the important factor is the angle of the light rays inside the lens. The greater they are the greater the deviation with distance. So, fast lenses and wide angle lenses are the most sensitive. For "normal" photographic lenses, which are corrected for infinity focus or near it, the rule of thumb is that corrections will stay pretty good down to about 10 focal lengths from the lens. I don't know if this applies to telephoto and retrofocus lenses. \

---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA
dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx