[rollei_list] Re: 2.8F jammed

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2010 10:41:52 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: <gregoire.vds@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, August 24, 2010 1:08 AM
Subject: [rollei_list] 2.8F jammed

undefinedHello,

I jammed my 2.8F during the holidays. I just sent it now to Mr Kuschnik for repair.

I would like to describe you the symptoms, and what I think I did just before it jammed. I appreciate your feedback and suggestions about why this happened, just to avoid in the future to have this happening again.

The symptoms: shutter release depressed, advance cranked blocked in high position. At first possibility to pull out the release, but after some trials, impossible to pull it out with the fingers. No more two positions feel on the locking lever around the release button. Still possible to recock with the multiple exposure disengagement, with a full advance crank CCW turn. During this turn, shutter slowly opens and closes, with the speed of the speed one turns the crank. Possibility to pull the release button with a release flexible, but as soon as fully depressed, blocked again. When release button in normal position, crank still blacked, no possibili ty to advance.

The camera is equipped with 12/24 option, and maybe the lever was half turned when I advance to the 12th frame. Maybe also, I half pressed the release button when advancing. That last advance was a little bit jerky at half turn. Before all this, I was framing something with the camera upside down (a rather nice celtic knotwork on the front of the big Carew Cross in South Wales, UK).

What happened? What did I did wrong?

End of the holiday with a rather cumbersome 500C, with a PM5 I didn't choose, with a 50mm Distagon that was enormous. At least, I have pictures of the holidays...

Many thanks,

Greg

This can be caused by a misalignment of the cocking mechanism due to wear. The cocking lever must be able to make a constant stroke regardless of the extension of the lensboard for focusing. It is an articulated lever which rides on a cam in the camera. There is an adjustment for the stroke in the form of an eccentric on the cam follower. If the stroke is too short the shutter never latches in the cocked position and will open and shut as the winding crank is moved. Adjustment requires removing the side of the camera and maybe also the front panel. If worn enough it may be out of range of the adjustment and require new parts. Once adjusted the camera should be good for another fifty years before it needs re-adjustment.

--
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA