[rodgersorganusers] Re: rodgersorgan Digest V6 #27

  • From: Jennifer Saks <jennifersaks@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rodgersorgan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 14 May 2018 10:44:09 -0700

I live just down the road from the new Rodgers facility.  I drive by it from time to time, hoping for a change, but it remains what it is: an attractive storefront with two nice organs visible from the door.  Otherwise, there is nothing to see and it never looks like anything is going on.  A closed book.  Not welcoming, and if someone walked in I think they'd probably say they aren't open to the public.

The former facility was vibrant and people were welcome.  We went in once to ask about recommendations for a good person to work on our newly purchased but older Rodgers organ. We were met by a friendly person out front, and the attitude was "come anytime".  She gave us a great recommendation.  There were concerts by famous organists and not so famous ones...we attended them all.  It was so great, and a wonderful promotion for the Rodgers brand.

Obviously, things are different now.  My first organ, which my parents bought for me to learn on when I was 7, was an Allen organ, and I've been frustrated enough to think that I might actually look at Allen again if I ever have the opportunity to buy a newer organ. Probably won't ever have that opportunity anyway, but I would love for Rodgers to still have that accessibility to the public.  In the beginning, when the acquisition was made, we were challenged to stand back and wait before making assumptions, but I think some of the things that we were worried about have come to fruition.  Not to say Rodgers isn't still making fabulous organs...I'm sure they are...but the time of being so accessible seems to be over.

Jennifer Saks
To leave this list, visit this page:

//www.freelists.org/list/rodgersorgan