[rodgersorgan] Re: You have a right to remain silent,

  • From: "Keith Jones" <sheriffkjones@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rodgersorgan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2003 10:40:16 -0400

From the perspective of the sound man:

It's quite easy to give the sound person a lot of grief sitting behind an
instrument.  But perhaps you could benefit from some perspective.

For instance... Playing the right track on a tape or CD would be easier and
better facilitated if such things were arranged during rehersal.  Instead,
as is often the case, the solist or choir director waltzes up to the sound
booth, tape in hand, utters something akin to "so-and-so will need this
played for her solo.  It's all set to go." and walks off toward some loftier
mission.  It's up to the sound person to figure out what the heck just
happened and how to meet their expectations.

Next we have a consortium of instumentalists that insist that they be heard,
each one of them, over the rest of the instruments.  Those whose instruments
are plugged in to some kind of amplification (organists included) tend to up
the volume AFTER the sound check is completed because "I need to hear myself
and I can't hear what I'm playing over the (insert any other sound
generating device here, including the choir)".

Now we move on to the choir.  The director insists that he/she be able to
hear the choir through the monitors so that the supranos can hear the tenors
and the altos the basses.  Then the sound person has to deal with the fact
that several of the choir members cannot sing, so we somehow have to
eliminate them from the mix all together. Musical credentials, you say?  I
would like to suggest the same thing to choir members who claim that they
can sing and read music, but can't carry a tune in a bucket.

It's exhausting trying to make everything sound perfect to everyone.  It's
worse when the sound person is reduced to spin control between musicians,
directors, performers, and pastors.  Not to mention members of the
congregation who comment "I can never hear the piano over the organ" and in
the next moment "All I hear is the piano."  Meanwhile, the pianist and the
organist are exchanging remarks within their inner circle of supporters that
the other is to blame and that their instrument is the most important for
meaningful worship.

In the end, you have what Noel describes.  Microphones everywhere, every
instument with it's own mic, humming and feedback because there is not
enough time to EQ every channel on the sound board because of all the last
minute demands of the people in charge.

Keith Jones
Sound Man, among other things.
Holland, MI