[rodgersorgan] The Bach T&F

  • From: "Noel Heinze" <noel.heinze@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "RodgersUsers" <rodgersorgan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 28 Jun 2003 22:50:23 -0400

Noel Jones asked:  "And....how about performances of the Bach Toccata and Fugue
in D Minor...what can you, Tom, and others tell about performances you have all
heard?"
Back in the '50s Biggs came out with a record of the Toccata played 13 times on
13 different organs, with the Fugue played once only.  I think they were all
European organs, probably recorded in the course of his other "organ tour"
recording sessions.  My favorite of these 13 was Westminster Abbey...it had
that benchmark grand cathedral sound like very few others...of course, that was
in the '50s...Biggs sometimes used odd registrations to make a point...one of
the 13 was done at the then new Philharmonic Hall outside London (not the
fabulous Royal Albert Hall) on a new Harrison & Harrison organ that suffered
from, among other things, horribly dry acoustics...Biggs' album notes said
"Just listen to the kettledrum roll of the 32' Bombard!"...indeed...apparently
he used only that stop in the pedal, no other ranks with it, since the whole
thing sounded just like rapid beating on a 50 gallon oil drum with some
mixtures on the manuals.  Period.  I lost this precious recording when it
melted in a house fire in '59, have not been able to replace it...anybody else
have it?

Noel Heinze, Asheville, NC
St. Giles Chapel, Deerfield Episcopal Retirement Community
Rodgers 835B and PR300S

!
Find new MIDI music and Guides to Rodgers Organs at www.frogmusic.com

To post send messages to: rodgersorgan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx